The LED division realises research and development projects about and with the LED. Main competences in this field are:
- development of high power LEDs
- development of deep ultraviolet (DUV) and near infrared (NIR) LEDs
- development of sensors for biology, medical engineering and environmental analysis with LEDs as radiation emitters
- fundamentals in general lighting
- applications with LEDs for automotive industry, aeronautics and medical industry
- applications with LEDs for lighting and radiation technology
- special applications with LEDs for sun simulation or lighting of greenhouses
Outstanding R&D results of the past years are the development of high power LEDs for the visual (VIS) and IR spectral region. Within the research project “Innovative Lighting for Berlin” in 2009 a demonstrator of an LED upgraded gas light fixture has been developed.
These application areas – as well as the development of high precision standards and etalons for the further improving of the measurement instrumentation – are the main fields of interest in the future.
In the various field of subjects and applications concerning the LED also the young academics are involved by internships, bachelor and master theses and graduations. The division manager is habilitating currently on the subject LED.